Practical Tool; Take the True Health Assessment
Thank you for liking and leaving your comments on http://www.facebook.com/sleepinar I conducted with Karen Yanku of Karina Yanku Healing Arts. It was an absolute pleasure speaking with all of you. Let's keep the conversation going. Healthy & Prosperous New Year to You! - Ekayani
There are multiple factors that contribute to poor sleep.
According to Dr. Breus "the sleep doctor" some of the benefits of sleep are
* lower blood pressure
* better memory
*slimmer waist lines
*strengthened immune and endocrine system
* increased lifespan
Your B Vitamins help convert tryptophan to seratonin a hormone that effects sleep and mood.
Later Bedtimes = Weight Gain
*Try going to bed at the same time every night - at least as often as possible!
* Late night snacks and later bedtimes prevent weight loss
* Eating at 10PM a no no. If you must eat consume fresh fruit salad, health salad, or a smoothie/protein shake
* Eat breakfast and lunch so you are not starving by dinner time
Sleep Deprivation Leads to a Shift in Hormones that boost appetite and less of the hormone that signals fullness
* The body can't burn calories during the day
* Compromised immune & endocrine system
* Premature aging (and who wants that??)
Tips and Strategies to Improve Sleep
* Unplug and Unwind. Turn off all electronic devices in the bedroom
* Sleep in a darkened bedroom. Light keeps you awake as we were made to get up with the sun. Digital clocks, nightlights, iPads, cell phones, TVs, etc. interfere with your sleep pattern
* Hazards of EMFs and Box springs - like sleeping in a microwave oven all night as the emfs are attracted to the metal springs in your bed. This is running through you body all night long when you should be repairing oxidative damage you were exposed to during the day. Give your body a chance to heal and avoid cancer
* Get bedding made from natural organic materials if possible. CocoMat, Hastens, Savoir, Futon beds
* Use cotton organic sheets
* Off gas your solidified petroleum bed once a week. Open the windows, air out the room.
* Caffeine & Alcohol - Cut back. An up and down cycle is started. Your drink coffee for the jolt in the morning but more than a cup after 3PM is going to keep you up at night. So what do you do? You go for that cocktail to unwind. When you wake up at 3 AM from a fitful sleep the cycle starts again.
Begin a Bedtime Routine of Self Care
You deserve it! Start to turn inward by setting out your clothes for the next day, preparing your lunch or breakfast. Make your to do list so you don't lie awake all night. Take a relaxing bath, get a massage of perform self massage. Increase your melatonin intake,increase your magnesium intake, make a sleepy time smoothie like this
Your Nutrition Your Health Your Productivity
Optimal nutrition is the most important factor in staying healthy & having a functioning immune system that can beat cancer,anxiety,depression,fatigue,heart disease,obesity, diabetes and more. And it begins with your CELLS! Your body is made of 50 trillion cells that all have an excretory, respitory and reproductive system. Your body REQUIRES 45 vitamins,minerals and nutrients on a daily basis to remain healthy. For the sake of being targeted to your needs here at TBC of NYC I am focusing on just four (4) today.
Vitamin E or Omega 3 Fatty Acids
VITAMIN D The Sunshine Vitamin that is really a hormone
Vitamin D is a miracle. The Linus Pauling Institute recommends 2000 IU per day for adults. Notoriously absent in 70% of the US population including children the benefits of are too long to mention here but include normal brain development , function, cognition. Cancer prevention, mood upliftment (I've got sunshine on a cloudy day!), immune system boosting against the common cold. If you are an office worker, night shift worker or live in a big city where we spend the majority of our time indoors you need to look into this. If the winter is one long cold and flu season check into this. Dark winter months, shorter days, lack of sunshine can be counteracted with a high quality Vitamin D supplement. Usana makes an excellent version of this. Spending 30 to 45 minutes in the sun daily without sunscreen is ideal. Sunlight needs to hit the skin directly to produce D.
MELATONIN the Sleep Hormone and Free Radical Scavenger
Melatonin is a naturally occurring hormone that decreases with age. By promoting sleep and inactivity while your cellular activity is at it's highest while you sleep it allows the odys natural antioxidant defenses to overcome the oxidative stress that occurs during the day from stress,sun,smog,emf's. Remember the body repairs itself at NIGHT not during the day. An excellent source of melatonin is PURE REST. It's not a sleeping pill and it's non addictive.
MAGNESIUM for Energy Metabolic function Nerves Skin Bones Nails
Magnesium is required for more than 300 metabolic reactions many of which are important for brain function. Energy levels, good skin, solid nerves, strong nails and bones need magnesium. It works in tandem with Calcium and unlocks calciums ability to do it's job. Magnesium is the "keys to the car". Your cells cannot convert food into energy nor can they excrete waste matter properly without this fuel. Deficiencies can appear as muscle spasms, muscle cramps, menstrual cramps,tremors,acne,eczema, and "flying off the handle". Usana has a non shell fish or no bones sourced vegetarian friendly bio available form of this.
VITAMIN E or OMEGA Fatty Acids the Fat Soluble Anti Oxidant
Protect your eye sight andbrain function with adequate in takes of Vitamin E. Vitamin E helps maintain the cells that maintain the retina. They help protect against damage to the sensory nerves, help maintain with balance and coordination. Also the moisture in the skin. For vegans and vegetarians this can be found in the oils/seeds of sunflower,pumpkin,chia,flax and olive oil. Cold water fish such as salmon,sardines,mackerel. It can also be obtained in a mercury free triple distilled supplement BioMega by Usana Health Sciences.